How are Levi’s Independent? (31 of 54)
Weekly Directive: INDEPENDENT
This week in class, we shared our individual creative thought processes. Some of my classmates went to parks or bars, while some preferred to be alone or within a group when generating creative ideas. It was interesting to see the different variations. I would’ve thought “creatives” were either type A or type B personalities. Some of my classmates choose to “generate” in public for the distraction, yet for others to help them clear their minds. There was even talk of cigarettes giving you a creative edge.
Distractions… Where was I? Oh yeah, Levi’s! Alright, so my point was to give you some background on the creative thought process and how it relates to this post. I usually approach each new directive assignment by looking up the definition. I have other rituals, but they are closely guarded trade secrets and not really relevant. Anyways, back to Levi’s and independent.
There are 12 definitions for independent when used as an adjective. When I glanced at the first few, I thought, these are adjectives that could potentially be used to describe Levi’s. I didn’t get past the third definition, and really don’t even remember those. I thought it would be a fun creative thinking assignment to go challenge myself to go through these and relate them to Levi’s. YOU can try at home!
<Insert your ritual here>
- Free from outside control; not depending on another’s authority
- – Levi’s is one of the oldest apparel manufacturing companies founded in the United States, and is still family owned and operated.
- – Levi’s, family owned and operated since 1873.
- Not belonging to or supported by a political party
- – Levi’s emphasizes on partnerships with nongovernmental organizations and
- Not supported by public funds
- – Levi’s Strauss Foundation has been committed to giving back to the community since 1952.
- Not influenced or affected by others; impartial
- – Levi’s supports promoting diversity regardless of whether it is controversial or not.
- -Groups of Levi’s wearers called hipsters exists
- Not depending on another for livelihood or subsistence
- -For over 138 years, people have depended on Levi’s.
- Capable of thinking or acting for oneself
- -Levi’s continues to be the forerunner in the denim industry.
- Making it unnecessary to earn one’s living
- – Levi’s has been around for over 100 years and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere no matter what the economic situation.
- Not connected with another or with each other; separate
- – Levi’s has independent labels such as Dockers..
- Not depending on something else for strength or effectiveness; freestanding
- – By 1977, Levi Strauss & Co. is the world’s largest jean manufacturer.
- Incapable of being expressed in terms of, or derived or deduced from, the others
- – Levi’s have often been replicated, but never duplicated.
It seems some of these were almost the same… go figure. It was still fun to run through them, and it gave me a few ideas. I might go back and edit, even though you aren’t supposed to make corrections to your creative writing exercise. Then again, we don’t typically publish your generation process.